• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Help Wanted Naval Vessel 1920

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 25, 2020, 02:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

A friend has sent me the attached PPC Cancelled APO Y 1 10 March 1920.

Can anyone read / identify the vessel named please.  My thoughts were "Breman" ?

Chris

Alan Baker

Chris

Sorry. I've just come across this in trawling through for suitable covers for the "Festival"

On Ancestry, I have found a William Horace Wolstenholme, 2 Oxford Street, Cheltenham (the address to which the card was sent). He was a member of the Labour Corps, exempt from combatant service on conscientious grounds.

Not sure the word is necessarily the name of a ship

Frank Schofield

Chris

The ship could be the ex German liner Bremen, at the end of WW1, she was handed over to the P & O line in 1919 (not listed in their ships list,) sold 1921

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

Here is an extract from the service record of W Horace Wolstenholme, showing he was with the BSF (British Salonica Force?) at the time of writing the card.

Not sure what the "ER" on the record stands for

Alan Baker

I have found a reference to an Italian ship, SS Bruenn, which was originally owned by Lloyd Austriaco, an Austrian line taken into Italian ownership at the end of the war as Lloyd Triestino. No information regarding the ship's activity in 1920 though.

The ship was 3870 tons, built in 1908. She was later sold and became the SS Celio. She was sunk by a British mine in 1940.

Alan Baker

Picture of ship attached, when named SS Celio

Nick Colley

Looks like 'Bruenn' to me , chaps.

chrs
N

Andrew Brooks

Hi Chris,
I'm afraid that I do not use the forum as I would become addicted ! However, as I posted a query today I had a quick look at your card. It is definately the SS Bruenn. I think at this time it was at Novossisk ready to take wounded to Constantinople or Salonika. Book 'The Mediterranean Fleet 1919-1929'.
Andrew