• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Blackened-out FPO and censor mark to Red Cross

Started by Marc Parren, June 25, 2020, 04:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Parren

Recently I acquired the attached 1944 cover with blackened out FPO number and censor number. Most interestingly sent by one H. Lancashire to the Red Cross in Geneva. I had hoped that while in my possession I would be able to deciher any of the numbers but in vain the black ink is really thick. What also is of interest is that it crossed Madrid.

Now I wonder whether anything can be said of the origin of the cover as I possess a FPO 632 cover dated 12 SP 43 applied in Tunisia at the time (later date than Gould & Proud) and with the CS-C3 handstamp Chief Base Censor 5. So both covers wear this one and I wonder whether anybody knows where this handstamp was in use at the time

Alan Baker

There are very few H Lancashires on FWR.

1. Private with the King's Own Scottish Borderers, KIA 15/05/1944 in Burma - buried at Imphal Cemetery
2. PO RAFVR
3. Lt, Royal Artillery

No information on location of Nos 2 & 3

Marc Parren

Dear Alan,
Thanks for this additional info. If I were to bet I would say number 3 but so far we do not know.
Marc

Peter Harvey

Hi Marc,

Nice cover this, I was surprised that no one responded. The CS-C3 you refer to is FPHS B100, I have only ever seen Chief Base Censor 5 connected with Algiers or Tunisia covers, in the publication WW2 Censor Marks 2nd Edition it is referenced with an illustration as NATOUSA the American term for North Africa Theatre of Operations, I don't understand that reference and this is clearly a British Censor cachet, although can be seen on some civilian mail and also some US military mail.

Clearly Unit Censored with the A500 cachet, forwarded to the Base Censor and the ink applied as security before being handed to the civilian post office for forwarding to Switzerland via Paris and the Ax cachet, in May 1944 the transit routes through Europe would have been available and the fastest route.

If I see any B100 cachets I will let you have copies.

Regards Peter