• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Virtual Display today 7th 1940 RAF in Iraq

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 07, 2020, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

They say variety is the spice of life,

1940 OHMS Cover to Officer in Charge Royal Airship Base, Karachi, India

Originated from Iraq cancelled Baghdad 18 OC 40

AIR MINISTRY POST? OFFICE Official cachet datelined 17/10/40

Boxed NOT OPENED BY CENSOR  B  40

All I can say on this one.  Where we still using Airships in 1940?

Chris

Alexander Green

Nice cover.

Posted at the civilian post office at Habbaniya.

Chris Grimshaw

Alexander Green

Ross Debenham

Chris, nice cover. I believe those "NOT OPENED BY CENSOR" stamps were banned by the authorities for being totally superfuous.

Peter Harvey

Ross,

'banned' by the authorities that implemented them in the first place !

I think these were used by Indian censorship throughout WW2, from late 1939 right through to at least mid 1945.

Peter

Ross Debenham

Hi Peter, on page 24 of British Empire Civil Censorship Devices - British Asia there is a transcript of a letter that was sent out to censoring offices on 23 April, 1941 stating that the use of these stamps was extremely undesirable and a letter back advising on 17 May, 1941, stating that use of the stamp had ceased in all censorship stations in India. Now whether this actually happened your guess is as good as mine. Studying the actions of the censors in India I have my doubts.