• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO D 47 1916

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 28, 2020, 12:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Currently putting together an article on the 60th Division during their time in Salonika December 1916 to June 1917.

When they left France in December 1916 date stamps had been swapped as part of the security measures in place.  Divisional HQ was using FPO D 47 at this time.  It is recorded that D 47 was used on their first arrival in Salonika in December 1916  HQ arrived by 8th December.

Slim chance but does anyone have an example or confirmed record of use.  I have examples of the three Brigade FPO's using the cancels they had swapped and used for a short time in Salonika but FPO D 47 eludes me.

Chris

Alan Baker

I have checked Alistair's index cards and he notes D47 with a date of usage of 21st December 1916. His card has the pencil notes "SAL" and "60".

The censor used was CM3/3277, but Daniel does not have any details for this number, apart from use in Egypt with FPO156 in 1917. AK's cards records usage on 3rd Sept 1917, noted in Proud as in the Gaza area (156 Brigade, 52 Division).

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

That's great.  AK didn't update this one on his copy of K & C.  A second look up of the cards if possible please. 

APO R 60, Three different cancels recorded by Proud, two normal Double Ring and the third one is the Horseshoe cancel.  Latest date of the D Ring is 19.9.16. W Front, earliest for the Horseshoe cancel is 2.2.17  (Ref Proud) Office opened in Salonika 17.1.17.

I have two examples from Feb and March 17.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Have checked my records and have nothing on censor 3/ 3277 or anything close to that one . Closest I can get with Type 3 is 3392,

Censor numbers with this Division are scattered.

Chris

Alan Baker

Sorry. The index cards I have are all FPO Nos. I think any APOs are with Chris Stephany-Weddell

Chris Weddell

Chris,

Will have a look for you.

Chris.

Graham Mark

Censor 3/3277
Frank Daniel's work sheets are no help on this one.
DAN 4 is recorded at the beginning of the use of type 3
and FPO 156 in early 1917.
Graham