• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Incoming Parcel Label to the BEF

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 22, 2020, 02:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Yes, you've read the title correctly, researching an incoming Parcel Label into a unit of the BEF.  A rare survivor!

Cancelled BLAKEDOWN Under Kidderminster 25 January 1916.  Postage paid 1/- 4d which was the rate from the UK to the BEF for  a parcel over 3 lbs up to 7 lbs.

On arrival Censor 4 / 427 applied.  Allocated to LXXVI Brigade Royal Field Artillery.

Does anyone have any material or records from this Censor No around this time showing which APO / FPO was used,  Hopefully this will allow me to tie the inward destination down a little.  Alternately anyone know where this RFA unit was in January 1916.

Chris

Alan Baker

Not recorded anything against this CM yet

Alan Baker

I have cross checked this against AK's ledger and he recorded this CM against FPO TB, which is the Guards Division Train. Wiki states that LXXVI Brigade RFA was part of the Guards Division. Daniel also gives the connection with the Guards Division.

However, although I can find mention of the Division's involvement in the Battle of Loos in autumn 1915 and the Somme later in 1916, I cannot find a note of where they were in January that year, either in Proud or on the web

Hope this helps but if the label has a name of the recipient, that might be helpful

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Very helpful and certainly a start. 

Chris