• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Polish Forces Post Offices

Started by Michael Johnston, October 29, 2020, 01:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Johnston

I have recently acquired a number of covers to WW2 Polish Forces particularly relating to the Anders Army. While I bought them for a quite different reason, I would like to know where I can find details of the various Polish Forces post offices. Can anyone help?

Chris Weddell

Michael,

Are these Polish Forces in Egypt and Palestine Field Post Office Numbers?

Nick Colley

Michael, there's a page in David Trapnell's PAIFORCE book which shows the location of those Polish FPOs which were established in that theatre of operations (14 of them) - as at the end of 1942. Perhaps a little limited for your purposes, but the best I can suggest, of hand.

Nick

Michael Dobbs

Michael

Have a look at the Library section on our website (from the Home page select Society and down the list select Library.  The select "Country" then search for Poland.  You will find a number of books on Polish FPOs - I don't know what they all cover and don't know which would be best for you - get in touch with our Librarian & President (Richard Berry) if you would like to borrow any.  I'm sure he can arrange a meetup at Victoria Station on a day he travels in to his office for work to hand any over to you (saves  having to rely on Royal Mail).

Another book in the Library is: Postal Markings of the Allied Forces in Great Britain 1940-46, (Billig's Handbook on Postmarks Vol 11) by Norman Hill.  It is 56 pages, slightly larger than A5 size and contains Polish Forces postmarks used in UK.

I don't know what the Anders Army is?

Hope this helps, Michael  :)

Nick Colley

Mr Google to the rescue!  :) (Attached).

chrs
N

Michael Johnston

[quote author=Chris Weddell link=topic=1849.msg7647#msg7647 date=1604003571]
Michael,

Are these Polish Forces in Egypt and Palestine Field Post Office Numbers?

[/quote] Chris, a couple with Paiforce, one in Palestine and some in Italy. Regards Michael

Michael Johnston

Further to my earlier posts, I would be interested to hear any thoughts regarding the various marks on this 1943 cover addressed from an evacuation camp in Tanganyika to Polish troops with Persia and Iraq Forces. The letter travelled to the Polish Legation in Nairobi for handling. The initial cancel at Nairobi appears to be Proud D26 which he lists as being in use in 1933 only.