• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

On the way home

Started by Frank Schofield, November 08, 2020, 08:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

On a Turkish postcard addressed to Holloway, London, T2/018353 Driver Hubert V. Cooper of the Royal Army Service Corps, writes to his girl friend stating "I will arrive in Blighty about a week's time, shall be going through France To-night Cheero from B".

Postmarked Army Post Office S.70 on 1 July 1919, this office was located at the Faenza Rest Camp in Italy, on the Overland Route "Cherbourg to Taranto" and vice versa. By 1919 most of the traffic was north bound with troops travelling home for demob. This route was set up in 1917 to avoid sea travel and the danger from U-Boats.
The train journey took 6 days, twice during the trip, troops were taken off the train for 24 hours, north bound at Faenza and again at St. Germain, near Lyons in France, there were also several "Halte Repas" (meals etc stops) along the route. During the 29 months 37185 trains were involved.

During the period of operation July 1917 until November 1919, 597443 British, Indian and West Indies troops passed through the camp.

Frank Schofield.

Michael Dobbs

Frank

Many thanks for this - an appropriate posting for today Remembrance Sunday - your writer was one of the lucky ones who survived the war and was on their way home on demobilisation.

Mike 

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

Nice item, I'd echo Mike's sentiments.

I have a number of cards of this camp, few years ago purchased Frank Daniels "Overland Route" display collection plus a lot f material from a fellow member.

Will try and post something relevant.

Chris