• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2 Indian 'Security' Blank Numbered Datestamps

Started by Peter Harvey, November 08, 2020, 09:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Throughout WW2, but especially in the 1944 - 45 - 46 period Indian datestamps can be found on military covers like the attached. Often the number datestamp, with no location is the only postal marking on Active Service covers, so clearly military related. Proud refers to some of these in the publication Indian Army Postal Service Vol 111, but nowhere near all of the numbers I have noted.

My question being were these 'numbered' with no location datestamps used by both civilain posta offices and the Indian Army Postal Service. Also I would like to know if there is a standard reference to these or at least a list of known numbers and locations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter

I don't know the full answer to your query but I may be able to offer an explanation.  Have you seen "Indian Army Post Offices - Locations and Movements 1939-1947" by Brigadier D S Virk AVSM (pub FPHS March 1973) ?

Under Section 2 - Improvised Field Post Offices:

p.109: "A few FPOs were issued with datestamps having only the number, without the letters "F.P.O."; this type of datestamp was not intended for use by the army postal service."

p.110: "Datestamps showing only the number are illustrated in Figures 125 and 126.  Normally, this type of datestamp was intended for use at civil post offices in India for segregating troops' mail for purposes of censorship, concessions and circulation.  They were issued to Army Commands for distribution to the affected civil post offices through their Circle offices.  Numbers are known running from 1 up to the 700's.  A few of these, numbered in the 500's and 600's, were issued to FPOs, apparently in error."

Mike

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

Thank you for this you help once again is invaluable. I could not find my copy of Virk (still not located), but your narrative explains why a section of these datestamps is covered within Proud and not the numbers either side (or all of the numbers I have noted).

Although not intended for 'troops mail' the fact that these were specifically for separating troops mail for the purpose of censorship, sort on contradicts this. It actually makes them even more interesting to me and I have started to not the numbers and any I can pin to specific locations.

Shall ask a few questions and see if any India collectors know if these have ben further researched.

Regards Peter