• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Type a.500 number 5906

Started by Ross Debenham, November 26, 2020, 04:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach a scan of a cover post marked with South African red security paquebot cancellor dated 21 October, 1942. Cover is hit with Type A.500 censor marker number 5906 I think. In the original ebay post the cover had the notation "ex troopship, in pencil. Can any member help me as to whether this censor marker was used on a troopship, and if so, what troopship?

Michael Dobbs

Ross

Sorry I cannot help - I have looked through the late Alstair Kennedy's censor ledger and he has not recorded 5906.
However, I don't think that it would have been allocated to a troopship per say - it would have been allocated to a unit or detachment aboard the troopship and so would have been used before and after the troopship voyage as well.

Mike

(PS: I have now modified the censor number in the topic heading from 6906 to 5906!)

Ross Debenham

Thanks Mike, I thought that might be the case. But lets face it, without these little mysteries, collecting covers would not be half as interesting, would it.