• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

RAF Operational Base Majunga

Started by Graham Perfett, December 06, 2020, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Perfett

I refer to the Article in Journal 325 on page 310 about Majunga. I have a Forces Air Letter from Majunga cancelled by F.P.O.170 on 18 Sept 1970. This FPO is not listed in the article so I wondered if it was from Ballykelly. The air letter appears to be philatelic as there is no message inside. Could any member confirm where FPO 170 was located.

Peter Harvey

Hi Graham,

Hope you are well.

If you look at http://www.forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk/smf/index.php?board=12.0 (the front page for the discussion forum) you can open the link to draft 'working copy' publications and see the more modern FPO research led by Mike Dobbs. This places FPO 170 in Bahrain (RAF Muharraq) this date. So Majunga flown to Maharraq FPO applied and then flown to England?

I have seen the cachet before, recently on some commemorative covers out of Majunga cancelled in the UK (see attached).

Regards Peter

Michael Dobbs

The Forces Air Letter is addressed to Harold Hare, a well known collector at the time, a Society member (now deceased).

I have attached an extract from my notes on trying to set up a postal facility in Majunga in the period 1966/67 without success, hence mails had to be forwarded to Bahrain to be dealt with.

Mike  :)