• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

1/9th Hampshires in Siberia 1919

Started by Howard Weinert, January 25, 2021, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Weinert

Here is a cover and letter sent from Omsk to Fairfield, England by Lt. Frederick Arthur Swindells [1879-1963], 1/9th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, during the British military intervention in Siberia. Censored by Swindells and postmarked BRITISH MISSION POST OFFICE VLADIVOSTOCK (14.8.19). The battalion (about 1000 men) sailed from Bombay and arrived in Vladivostok on 28 November 1918. On 18 December they left for Omsk, arriving on 7 January 1919. They moved to Yekaterinburg in May and returned to Omsk in July. The battalion left Vladivostok for England on 1 November.

1/9th Bn. Hampshire Regt.
Siberia
Omsk. July 18th/19

Dear Mother,

We are now settled in our new quarters, though we haven't so much room as we had when here before or at Ekaterinburg. Although we arrived in the station last Saturday evening [12 July], we didn't leave the train till Tuesday morning. All Monday and Tuesday morning were spent in unloading our stores and then reloading them onto transport carts to bring here. This place seems very dirty after Ekaterinburg. There is always a lot of dust here and as we have had a fair amount of rain the last few days, the dust has been turned into mud. I haven't seen anybody I know here yet, but if it is fine on Sunday I may take a walk out to the American hospital. Our present barracks is two miles at least farther away than we were before so it means a walk of about 5 miles. By the time you get this it will be getting cold again here and we shall be requiring our thick clothes once more. Whether we shall be still here or on our way to Vladivostock remains to be seen. I hope Evelyn and yourself are keeping quite well and with love to both of you. Your affectionate son, Fred Swindells.

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Howard

What can I say,  A Brilliant and very scarce item especially with the letter surviving.    This will be a must for a future journal, not a campaign we see very often.

Thank you for sharing.

Chris