• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Serbian Red Cross Card

Started by Chris Grimshaw, February 05, 2021, 03:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

A recent purchase from one of our respected Dealer members allows me to introduce something new prior to writing up. 

A Postal Stationery Card to the International Red Cross Geneva.  CROIX ROUGE SERBE Hand-stamp and what I suspect is a Austrian Censor cachet  Zensuriert ------

Card is cancelled 27 VII 17,  I cannot read the cancellation.  Message on reverse is also datelined 27 / VII 

Now for the mystery and query,  Card shows a Boxed Cachet BRITISH RED CROSS AND ORDER OF ST JOHN  5. OCT.1917 SALONIKA

I cannot read the message, any takers?? General civilian inquiry I'd guess about a Serb held hopefully as a POW if not Dead.  The mystery is the Salonika cachet. 

I know there were large numbers of Serbian POWs in Bulgaria.  Did this card get to Geneva,  No postal markings..  Otherwise where was it between 27 July and 5 October 1917 and how did it get to Salonika from occupied territory.

It's certainly a 'cracker' just difficult understanding it all fully.

All thoughts welcomed. 

Chris

Peter Gassmann

censored by Austrian Censorship in Feldkirch ("KuK Zensurstelle Feldkirch"), on the border to Switzerland --> the typical transit route from Austria into Switzerland

the cancellation looks like ETAPPENPOSTAMT/KRAGUJEVAC (Serbia)

cannot read Serbian, sorry

regards, Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Peter.

This certainly helps with the first part of its journey.

Chris