• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

French Military into Ireland 1918

Started by Chris Grimshaw, February 09, 2021, 01:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Something a little different, Scan shows a cover canceled * TRESORET POSTES *  No removed 14 1 18, Franked 25 Centimes which was cancelled 15 1 18.  Endorsed F M but I guess postage was payable into Southern Ireland from France

Addressed to Island Bridge Barracks, Dublin    Controlee Censor mark 4 applied and a very nice cachet.  No Back-stamps,

Any clues as to where it originated from?

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

No one replied to this when you first posted it and I had a look today. I can not tell you as great deal, I found a Major S B Wildman mentioned in despatches in the 2nd Anglo Boer War, your cover is addressed to someone of this name.

Th TEP*  * marks with no identifying numbers were used as you would expect for security purposes, which does not help the historian. I was interested in he cachet Motor Convoy S.S. Anglaise M4 - Any thoughts on why this S.S. Anglaise naming was used?

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter / Chris

Not sure if I can help - done a quick search  and found a number of entries which feature S.S. Anglaise - including this one:
GUERRE 14-18 : griffe et cachet Convois automobiles S S Anglaise XI par Dijon

Also this site shows what S.S. stand for:
[url=https://horizon14-18.eu/abrv-militaires.html]https://horizon14-18.eu/abrv-militaires.html[/url]
lists S.S. as Service de Santé (Google translation: health service)

Could these be English motor ambulance conoys in support of French Army?

You could try David Trapnell - he authored a Special monograph on "French Military Posts & Railways 1914-1918 - The Authorizing Handstamps" in 2011 - with his French interest he may be able to offer some help.

Mike

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

Thank you, what a great link to the French Military Abbreviations.

Peter