• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

41st Division in Italy 1917 - 1918

Started by Frank Schofield, March 21, 2021, 08:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

The 41st Division arrived in Italy on 16th November 1917 (1 of 5 Divisions sent) they were retuned to the Western Front on 1st March 1918, spending just over three months in Italy, Mail from this Division is not common.
Two postcards with views of Genoa and Sampierdarena from the same writer and postmarked FPO 91 on the same day, FPO 91 was used by 124 Brigade during Security Period IV, it reverted back to 91 Brigade, 7th Division in Italy in April 1918.
The censoring Officer F.A. Bushy?? is not listed in the January 1918 Army List

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

The writer of the cards was Pte William C McQuitters, MM, of the Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment. His residence given on FWR was Rochester. He was born in 1889 and died in 1969.

To me, the censoring officer could be "Busby", although I have not found one yet

Frank Schofield

Alan

Thanks for that, a bit more research and rewrite needed on these

Frank

Frank Schofield

Alan

A bit more on G/21741  Private William Charles McQuitters, 10th Btn RW Surrey, not in my database (many records lost in WWII bombing)
His MM, LG 29794/21 dated 17.12.17

Found a Capt F.A. Brisley also of the 10th Btn, which I think sorts out the censoring officer

Frank

Alan Baker

Previously a Sgt in the 1st Hampshires, commissioned 8th January 1917.