• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

April 1915 Card from NICHE

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 06, 2021, 02:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

The Serbian study is progressing well, Wife keeps asking about all the letters arriving from foreign destinations.. 

Thailand, USA, Serbia, Italy, France, Germany and even a couple from the UK.

This card shown on the scan stumps me.  I have literature covering the 1916 - 18 period but very little information on the 1914 - 15 period.

Scan shows a Glamour style PPC cancelled NICHE 4 4 15, with an unclear receiving cancel for 8 4 15

Two line Serbian Censor hand-stamp which = Examined by Military Censure I believe.

The middle word second line defeats me as does the letters on the third line.  Does anyone have any information on these early Censor cachets?

Chris

Howard Weinert

Chris,

The receiving cancel is Beograd and the censor mark reads: Inspected/Chief Military Censor/Nish

Cheers,

Howard

Chris Grimshaw

Howard

Thank You.  You're a STAR 

Appreciated.

Chris

Peter Gassmann

well, if you find something on these early censor marks I'm interested too :-)

best wishes, Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

Very nice card.  My studies so far reveal that following the retreat through Albania and evac to Corfu there was a major reorganization of the Serbian Army Postal System and censorship.

There was limited use of the 1914 / 15 censor cachets prior to there replacement in early 1916.

I'm wondering if we need to be looking at the 1912 /13 Balkan War period for information on the earlier marks.  Food for thought, not sure if anything has been published on this period.  Will keep searching.

Chris