• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

The changeover of censor marks in Italy from (CM6) to (CM8)

Started by Frank Schofield, May 09, 2021, 07:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

In March 1918 it was decided to change the shape of the censor mark used by the British Army in Italy, from the oblong (CM6) used on the Western Front to a new distinctive shield mark (CM8).
Attached is an example of the change, written and censored by Major General J.M. Babington, the Divisional Commander of the 23rd Division.
He has crossed out and initialled the oblong (CM6 No. 768)  and the new shield censor (CM8 No. 477) applied, also present is the double ring Field Post Office D.23 (23rd Division Headquarters) dated 19th April 1918, about two days after the new mark came into use.

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Frank

Scruffy it may be, but what a fantastic cover, clearly showing the changeover from one censor type to another - and signed by the Divisional Commander as well!  Thanks for sharing a very special cover.

Mike  :)

John Cranmer

Frank.  While this is out of my collection field I do know enough to see that this is a most impressive cover.  As for scruffy you should see some of mine!!.

John