• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW1 Army Post Office SZ

Started by Peter Harvey, April 19, 2021, 09:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I would welcome any views on the attached. Initially I thought this was Army Post Office SZ28 with the 2 & 8 separated - so a variety on the known versions. But both Proud and K&C don't record SZ28 until November 1917.

On closer inspection this is almost certainly Army Post Office SZ 2 B - which I can not locate in Proud or K&C. In fact Proud does not record APO SZ2 in a s/r version, the date would fit with SZ2 in Egypt (maybe a counter version on a registered letter), also has the BAPO T used at Kantara.

Any thoughts from you WW1 boffins!

Regards Peter

Peter Harvey

Alan Baker emailed me on this cover so I though I would post his comments - thank you Alan:

The spacing is unlike anything illustrated in Proud for either SZ2 or SZ28. I think you may well be right in saying it is SZ2B

I have checked AK's ledger and he records CM3/3833 against APO SZ2 or FPO CD3, both in Egypt.

I have also checked FWR and Ancestry for the censoring officer, which I think is Lt D (EB) Polwhele, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, att 2nd Essex Regt. His medal card states he went to Egypt in July 1916

Incidentally, the BAPO T mark predates the first known date in Proud for D4 (17.2.1917)

Peter Harvey

I posted this a while back and received the comment from Alan above.

I received the cover today from Australia, amazing what you can find on eBay for a fiver !!

If other WW1 collectors would like to comment, I would welcome any thoughts. This certainly is SZ 2 B and a newly recorded datestamp from Egypt in 1916 not listed in K&C or Proud. Still amazing 105 years on that new items turn up - I think that is four I have found in as many years.

Comments welcome.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter - WW1 is not my area, but I feel you ought to do a one page write up for the Journal - may attract further responses from members who either are not online or don't access the forum.

Mike