• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW1 Ferozepore Brigade June 1918 - Indian Datestamp

Started by Peter Harvey, June 02, 2021, 07:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I would appreciate any thoughts on the attached.

This is an uprated Indian Half Anna cover mailed to England, I assume the rate made up the surface rate - cancelled with the FEROZEPORE BRIGADE 28 JUN 18 datestamp.

I have never seen this before and no matter how hard i try, I can find no reference. It appears from the internet that there were several 'Ferozepore Brigades' formed in WW1 the 7th and 44th are the most common quoted by Google.

I would like to know if this datestamp was used by one of the Brigades and if so which and where, if this was outside India the main brigades were in Palestine at this time.

Any thoughts.

Neil Williams

Peter

yes, 1anna is the correct Imperial postcard rate to the UK from India. It's not a concession rate.

It's a standard looking Indian Post Office canceller, though there are similar IEF ones. It would be unusual to give a formation name on active service, so I think there's a possibility this is from a static Indian civil post office within the Forezepore cantonment.

Are there any clues in the message?

Neil