• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Army Post Office SZ ???

Started by Michael Dobbs, August 15, 2021, 11:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry from an individual who has previously asked for our help, as a result of which I was able to write up an article for our Journal and hr also donated a couple of covers  for our funds.  This time he asks about a cover he has purchased:

[color=maroon]I bought it on the basis of the dealer's description, which was 'Delandre British Occupation label on reverse of Near East cover' but having now got it, whilst the cancel might be a SZ one, I think it more likely to be a European APO, perhaps S34 ?  Can you tell from the 'PASSED BY' handstamp and the Censor's 'signature' which APO it is, please?[/color]

My initial response was as follows:

[color=blue]I am not a WW1 expert and so I will place your query on our members forum - there are plenty of WW1 experts there.  However, I did look through my copy of "The Postal History of the British Army in World War I 1903-1929", by Alistair Kennedy and George Crabb, (Published FPHS, 1977).  I am aware that Proud's WW1 book (2nd Edition) is more up-to-date, hence placing the query on our forum.

In looking through K&C I find that the rectangular censor (FPHS Type CM6) was only used in France, Belgium & Germany (and Italy 1917-18 only).

Also the double ring steel datestamp with thick bars either side of the number (FPHS Type D1) was only issued for ARMY POST OFFICE SZ numbers 1, 2 & 3.

I am therefore of the same opinion as you in that it is not an SZ number and more than likely is an APO datestamp used in Europe[/color]

So over to you - can anyone add any further information please - particularly about the censor?

Thanks, Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Mike

It's not APO S. 34 which is reported Not seen, located at Crecy, France, closed 15.2.19

I think its APO S. 38 which is recorded open until at least 1.5.20 located at Wimereaux from 24.2.17

References from Proud, Second Edition.

Alan may have record of the Censor.  Label is something I've not seen before.

Chris

Howard Weinert

Why don't we take the adhesive on the back at face value and say the cover was sent from Greece? British forces were in the area of Kavala fighting the Bulgarians shortly before the end of the war.

Alan Baker

CM6/3241 - I have recorded from APOS31 in May 1919 (from ebay) - AK's ledger has this number with S1 in May 18 and S31 in Sep 18. Proud lists these APOs as being in France.

JN De La Perrelle, DSO, MC, Croix de Guerre was a captain, later major in the Royal Fusiliers, who seems to have spent his whole war in France and was awarded the French decoration for his service there. His family originated from Jersey. 

Sorry, haven't found any Greek connection

Michael Dobbs

Alan & Chris

Many thanks for your responses - after enlarging and using RetroReveal I can see that it is a '3' but cannot make out the second number.

Thanks Alan for the info on the censor and the censor cachet.

Howard - regarding your suggestion I don't think I can agree as I believe that APOs in Greece were designated SX and I feel that this is clearly an 'S' office, but I am open to correction.

Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Thank you all - the person who made the enquiry is well pleased with the responses and has asked me to pass on his grateful thanks.  He can now write up the cover in some detail.

Mike

Alan Baker

Did you send him an application form?