• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW2 Prisoner of War - Unit ?

Started by Peter Harvey, March 23, 2023, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi Team,

I am trying to find the Unit that the officer sending this POW card served with. You will see that this is a Parcel Card to the Notts/Sherwood Foresters Fund, with the camp cachets and the sender to reverse giving his location and name as Clausthal in Harz and Norman Wells Lt 4th C.U.R or C.U.K. or similar.

Any thoughts on the Unit would be welcomed, I can not come close, if it was 4th CLR, I would have City of London Rifles, but I do not think that is correct.

Any help?

Thank you

Peter

Malcolm Cole

Hello Peter,

Having trawled through the ICRC POW archives, I think your chap may be Norman Lewis Wells who was attached to the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles. I attach copies of the main ICRC record card, together with another document showing that this fella was in Clausthal. The signature on the Attestation Papers matches that on your card which I think probably makes it certain. What do you think? The address of next of kin on the ICRC record card matches the address on the Attestation papers.
Malcolm

Alan Baker

Good shot Malcolm. The signature on the Attestation Paper matches the one on the card. Like Peter, I read the second letter of his unit as a "U", but looking again, it is obviously an "M"...

I had got as far as thinking he might be in a Canadian unit, as he doesn't seem to appear on FWR or Ancestry, but the "U" was stumping me

Peter Harvey

Thank you both for your help with this.

I did search extensively for Norman Wells and also found a link to the Canadian Unit, however dismissed that as the U kept on throwing me, but as now agreed it is CMR, [b]Malcolm, great research thanks. [/b]

On another note, Lt Norman Wells was a POW exchanged in July 1918, you can read some notes own his captivity here: https://eddiesextracts.com/lsextracts/ls19180700.html

Peter