• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Unit Cachets on WWI Mail

Started by Chris Grimshaw, July 18, 2021, 03:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Many of you will be aware of my interests in WWI mail  :) A long term research project which I'm looking at is 'Unit cachets' found on British / Allied WWI and after mail. 

Little has been written on these,Firebrace did some work on Egypt etc and John Slingsby lists some found on Army of the Black Sea material.

In 'theory' every unit will have had and probably used such a cachet on official mail.  The problems are finding, listing and categorizing these into some sort of order.

As 'Old collections' get broken up this will likely become harder.  If anyone is similarly interested please get in touch.  All illustration and details welcomed for what could be a long term project.  Scan shows a recent example I came across very cheaply. 

Chris 

Michael Dobbs

Chris

This would be a massive project - it is not as simple as every unit having its own "cachet" (or unit datestamp) but the various part of a unit (e.g. HQ, Orderly Room, SQMS, etc).  Another example is for each artillery regiment, every battery would have one or more unit cachets/datestamps and the same for an infantry battalion, each company could well have its own.  When it comes to headquarters, then potentially each branch of the HQ would have its own cachet/datestamp.  Good luck - I hope you have plenty of time!

Regards, Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Mike

Fully concur will be a long term major project.  However if I / we don't make a start which hopefully in the future will encourage younger students to take up the challenge much information will be lost or forgotten. 

The same can be said about censorship, we have lists which still are incomplete. Scans are a permanent record unlike lists which only hold so much information.

Chris

Graham Mark

Hello Chris
I agree with Mike, not just every unit but also within units, I can provide, when you are ready, with a large number from Eg & Pal.  A good example of the multiplication is provided by the Devon Regt on garrison duties in Egypt - I think I have five or six cachets - some amended in ink for different companies as the regiment was split up with duties in various locations.
Best wishes
Graham

Tony Walker

Chris

The implication in your post suggests it is Army cachets you are focussing on.  Chris Weddell and I have compiled an initial list of WWI naval cachets, which Chris has on a database.  We've not done any more to it since Covid started.

Cheers
Tony

Peter Harvey

I think we have had many topics of research discussed in the last year, which is great for the society. I am not sure what other (and Chris) intend to do with this to make the research available for others.

However, I would strongly encourage the use of the Forum Draft Publications – Feedback Required - section (from the forum front page). This has been used extensively by Michael Dobbs and others have added over several years to his research for a future publication.

I am sure this would work well with other spreadsheets etc to help form a repository for research which individual members could then own.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks All for taking the time to read this post.

I fully concur we need to record our research so others can contribute if they wish and indeed new students in the future have something to build on.

Too often research is lost when someone passes away or collections are broken up.

The approach I've taken to the various projects I have on the boil is as follows,

Spreadsheet recording as much data as possible, hopefully in a format others can understand.

Also create a Word document incorporating scans, mainly one cachet per page,  soon will become a large document I appreciate but gives  a permanent record then.

Currently working my way through all my material recording in the format shown on the attached scan.  Also 'trawl' the internet harvesting examples I come across. Only drawback with internet scans is one cannot get  a true measurement of the size without  contacting the vendor, 'if they will play ball' 

Firebrace did a lot of work on his area, Egypt etc but new discoveries are to be made.

Currently on page 67 in this format with material still to process.

PS. Have done same on Type 7 Censor numbers and doing same with Registration material.

Chris