• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

BMA Malaya RN Concession cachet

Started by Michael Dobbs, September 30, 2021, 11:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

In 1945 after the war, King George VI Straits Settlements stamps were overprinted BMA MALAYA (British Military Administration) for use throughout the Malay Peninsula.  The stamps were first issued in October, and remained in use until 1948, even though the administration was dissolved in April 1946.

I have been sent a scan of an 8 cent Straits Settlements stamp overprinted BMA MALAYA on a cover addressed to Australia.  The cover does not have a postmark but the stamp has a cachet CONCESSION RATE / R.N. PERSONNEL applied over it.  The person who sent it to me has asked for any information about it

Does anyone recognise the cachet?  Where was it applied?  Can anyone provide a time period in which it was used?  Is the postage rate of 8c the correct concession rate?  Does anyone have any information on the concession rate?

A lot of questions, but I hope at least some can be answered!

The following is an interesting article on the overprinted stamps:
[url=https://www.linyangchen.com/BMA-Malaya]https://www.linyangchen.com/BMA-Malaya[/url]

Thanks, Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Mike

Susan McEwen is probably your best port of call here.  I know Susan sometimes uses the Forum.

Chris

Nick Colley

Well, chaps, this rather tatty item isn't from Malaya, but it carries a  similar (but slightly different style) RN concession cachet. You can see it's postmarked RAFPOST Delhi, 8th September 1946, and it's endorsed By Air Mail. There is nothing on the reverse.

Make of it what you will, and feel free to share any thoughts you might have about such RN Concession cachets.

chrs
N

Susan McEwen

Hi Mike emailed me about this item.
8c was the normal surface* letter rate (for GB + Empire) during the BMA period.  Concession rate was 6c then later 10c.
there is nothing to say this item is 'wrong'  but its not a mark known in BMA Malaya.  My hunch is that it was a private cachet.
Normally Military mail  from Malaya has a return address of a serving military person, does this have a return address?

*there were times in 1945 when officially there was no airmail service but some items were sent by air, if there was space on a plane for a bag or two of mail. These can only be identified by receipt stamps, for instance if they were forwarded, reposted in the UK before seamail would have got them there