• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

B M POSTNARK

Started by Peter Burrows, March 18, 2022, 10:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Burrows

Can any body help, who used this postmark used during Second World War

Michael Dobbs

Peter

I would suggest that B.M. is for Birmingham.

In "Collect British Postmarks" 8th Edition, Bill Pipe 2011 (pub Stanley Gibbons) under "Large Circular Handstamps - Exceptional types" it illustrates a similar type but with LIVERPOOL as Type 9/79 which states "Large barred circle e.g. Liverpool, B.M. (Birmingham)".

However, I can offer no further explanation as to when this has been used or why on a cover with a London-based organisation and addressed to Edinburgh.

Mike

Michael Dobbs

I've just carried out a search of our Forum and came up with this topic in February 2017:
[b][color=maroon]Crash cover with B.M. postmark [/color][/b]

It illustrates a crash cover from the Korean War period.

Mike

PS: are you suggesting the sender or recipient was an informer or spy, esp one working for the police (copper's [b][u]nark[/u][/b])  :) :) ;)

Michael Dobbs

As Peter Burrows has pointed out to me the mark is also illustrated in "English & Welsh Postmarks since 1840" by James A Mackay, published by the author 1980 - illustration 2464 on page 131 with text on page 134, under the chapter dealing with "Parcel Postmarks".  I somehow missed that page when I was hurredly looking through my copy !!

Mike  ;D