• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

PPC France into Archangel

Started by Chris Grimshaw, December 12, 2021, 04:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

A new arrival and I'm not exactly sure were we are here with this one.

PPC from France into Archangel cancelled I think 13 Oct 19, unclear Archangel cancel 3 1 20. 

A feint boxed censor mark, not sure if partly under or over the stamp Looks like No 4

By the time of arrival the Allied Intervention was 'History' following the withdrawal. Not sure when the Bolsheviks took over and the killings started.

Receiving mail from France would probably put you high on the execution lists.

Even then, Message was clear if you intervene, stay and finish it. 

Stalin was later quoted "One deaths a tragedy, 1 million is a statistic."

A lesson our 'Leaders' haven't learnt.

Chris

Howard Weinert

Chris,

This is a card from a French stamp collector in Marseille to stamp dealer Mr. Tarasoff in Solombala, a suburb of Arkhangelsk.

Postmarks: Marseille (13.10.19), Arkhangelsk (2.1.20 and the other date unclear), Solombala (date unclear). After the word Solombala in the postmark, there should be ARX for Arkhangelsk [province] but the AR is missing leaving only the X. The censor mark was applied in Arkhangelsk and is a type I have never seen.

The sender is asking for a copy of Tarasoff's bulletin. Tarasoff notes that he answered the request (upper left corner). Tarasoff is well known to Russian collectors and I have seen a lot of his mail well into the 1920's.

The Bolsheviks took over in Arkhangelsk on 20 Feb. 1920 and killed thousands for collaborating with the Allies.

For more info on Tarasoff go to http://www.armeniazemstvo.com/2015/03/the-indefatigable-v-v-tarasoff-of.html

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard

Brilliant.  I'd guess the censor mark is something the 'Whites' introduced.  Pity is isn't clearer.
He sounds like someone who was 'well connected' looking at the link you attached. 

A closet 'Bolo' perhaps..

I also found online the story of the escape by General Miller, White General & GOC on an icebreaker. Reads like the last chopper out of Saigon, but certainly better that bringing 'stray cats & dogs out of Kabul as our illustrious F O mandarins recently did. 

When one studies the Postal History of these campaigns and Interventions it leads one on to study the history behind such events.  Something that brings home the ineptitude of our current 'leaders',  Politicians could well learn from their predecessors.  The West in particular needs to learn that lesson well.  Not a view our 'Woke Generation of Snowflakes' prescribe to  however.  Still what can we expect when a certain prince describes 'Slavery as a stain on the Nations History'  History cannot be 'whitewashed' or swept away..  Can I hear the guillotine calling?

Chris