• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FPO 219 or 217? in 1942

Started by Michael Dobbs, April 11, 2022, 10:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

The auctioneer of the Faroe Islands Study Circle sent in the following query:[color=maroon] In our most recent auction, a cover was submitted with an FPO cancel.  Someone had added '219' and 'Faroes' at some point in the past.  When the purchaser received the cover from me, he reckoned it was FPO 217 rather than 219.  He had seen a scan before purchasing, but hadn't noticed the error.  He is happy to retain the cover for now, but wants to know where FPO 217 was, so that he can provide the information if he decides to sell it on.  Could you tell me where FPO 217 was in October 1942?[/color]

I responded as follows: According to "History of British Army Postal Service, Volume III 1927-63", undated, Edited by Edward B Proud and published by Proud Bailey Co Ltd c.1982, 531pp, h/b
FPO 217 is recorded as being in Egypt (no location given) and has been recorded there 24 Aug 42 to 6 Nov 42 (earliest and latest dates given).

From the scan sent I could not tell if it was FPO 217 or 219!  However, I dug into Alistair Kennedy's WW2 Army censor ledger and found an entry for Censor 1787 - see attached scan - used with FPO 217.  There are the letters 'SC-' between the FPO number and date - I wonder if this stands for "Stamp Collecting" magazine but date not known?

Can anyone provide any further information as to the location of FPO 217 in Egypt or indeed the unit which used the censor stamp?

Thanks, Mike