• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

North Africa British POW Camp

Started by Marc Parren, June 07, 2022, 07:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Parren

I possess this Army Form W3054 printed in Italian and written by an Italian Officer forming part of the Italian Headquarters in Tunisia. He surrendered and wrote this message home on 27 May 1943. There is an indication in another handwriting that he stayed in Prisoner of War Camp 127. I presume its a British Camp in North Africa. However, I have no indication where that one was located. I presume it was in Algeria. Could anybody confirm this and its exact location and period of use.

Peter Harvey

Hi Marc,

I do not know the answer, however I have forwarded the question to Peter Burrows, who does not use the forum, but may well be able to help. If I have a reply I will let you know.

Regards

Peter Harvey

Hi Marc,

Peter Burrows replied:
[i]
I have 127 listed under American POW camp for Italians in Algeria June/ October 1943

It was not unusual for the Americans to use British post cards[/i]

Regards

Marc Parren

Thanks for this information. In the meantime I found out that Camp 127 was located in Chanzy some 32km South of Sidi Bel Abbès in the Department of Oran in the West of the country