• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Northern Ireland in 1974

Started by Tony Walker, September 06, 2022, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a cover which I cannot work out.

You will see from the scan this envelope is addressed to HQ Northern Ireland at Lisburn

The packet-like cancel top right on the label has been cancelled 26 NOV 74 from Forces Post Office 177.  The double r[attach id=6330]British Army in NI for Troubles (1).jpg[/attach] ing blue oval cachet, which you might think is a receiving mark is however dated 25 NOV 74 from the Ulster Defence Regt 10th Belfast Bn.

Any offers of an explanation?

Cheers
Tony

Michael Dobbs

Thanks for the query Tony - OK lets break it down:

There is an official cover addressed to HQ Northern Ireland (UDR Applications), Magheralave Road, Lisburn, Co Antrim.  It was sent by 10th (Belfast) Battalion, The Ulster Defence Regiment whose Orderly Room datestamp is dated 25 NOV 1974.

The cover is postmarked FORCES POST OFFICE 177 dated 26 NO 74 (FPHS Type B1).  Between 1974 and 1976 this datestamp has been recorded used at BFPO 801 (Lisburn)

At that time (1974) there were two BFPO addresses for troops in Northern Ireland: BFPO 801 and BFPO 825 - this came about as follows:

On 1 June 1972 HQ Northern Ireland located in Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn adopted the address [b]BFPO 825[/b].  All other units, including those in Thiepval Barracks, retained the [b]BFPO 801[/b] address (source: Defence Council Instruction (General) Temporary T75/72 dated 17 May 1972).

There was no Forces Post Office at HQ Northern Ireland; there was, however, a Forces Post Office at Thiepval Barracks.

Major Doug Swanson wrote on the "Postal & Courier Services Branch, Royal Engineers Association" website (retrieved 6/9/2013):
[url="http://www.pcsbranch.org.uk/Posties%20in%20UK%20%20v2.pdf"]http://www.pcsbranch.org.uk/Posties%20in%20UK%20%20v2.pdf[/url]

"I introduced BFPO 825 for HQ NI.  Before this all mail was addressed to BFPO 801 and was sorted in our CDO in Lisburn.  When I calculated that almost 50% was for the HQ I saw a quick solution and much earlier mail delivery to the HQ.  All we had to do was open the 825 final bags and list the Registered mail for delivery as well as the Courier mail - of which there was a lot. We also stopped sending some outbound mails through the GPO - after the IRA robbed the GPO sorting office in Londonderry and took the military mail and registered mails."

It is clear that official forces mail DID NOT circulate through the General Post Office - instead it was sent to the nearest FPO for processing - in this case to the FPO at Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn (BFPO 801) for delivery to HQ Northern Ireland also at Thiepval Barracks (BFPO 825).  It was here that it received the FPO 177 postmark. 

As a result of digging around on the internet I have found little bits of information here and there which has helped me understand the situation and reach this response.

HQ Northern Ireland:

Magheralave House was built about 1893 to replace the original mansion destroyed by fire. The whole estate was purchased by the War Office with the exception of Magheralave Park of 12 acres.  A website states that "Fifty years ago this month the War Office bought Magheralave House and estate just outside the Lisburn town boundary as the site for the new headquarters of the Northern Ireland Army District."  However, there is no date on that statement. But a further statement may give a clue "It was anticipated that the new barracks would be completed in three or four years' time, but it was not likely that any building operations would be started before the end of that year, 1938." 

This massive site is the headquarters of the British Army in Northern Ireland - occupying quite a substantial chunk of North Lisburn. It also cuts the Magheralave Road in two. It is home to the 38th (Irish) Brigade and the 19th Light Brigade.

On 1 August 2007 38th (Irish) Brigade was formed; this acted as a non-deployable regional brigade with its headquarters in Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn and with regional brigade functions and responsibilities.

On 6 August 2007 HQ Northern Ireland and HQ 38 (Irish) Brigade combined to create a single transitional headquarters with a two star General Officer Commanding (GOC) (Major General Chris Brown CBE) as HQ Northern Ireland and 38 (Irish) Brigade, BFPO 825.

On 1 January 2009, HQ 38th (Irish) Brigade emerged as a single headquarters when residual regional functions were migrated to HQ 2nd Division in Edinburgh, due to the disbandment of HQ Northern Ireland.

The Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) was an infantry regiment of the British Army established in 1970, with a comparatively short existence ending in 1992.  The 10th (City of Belfast) Battalion, Ulster Defence Regiment was formed in 1972 from elements of the 7th Battalion, Ulster Defence Regiment creating a second battalion in Belfast.  It was again amalgamated with 7 UDR in 1984 to form the 7th/10th Battalion, Ulster Defence Regiment.  In 1977 at least 10 UDR was based at Girdwood Barracks, Belfast.  There was no FPO at Girdwood Barracks, Belfast.

I can only assume that the Forces Post Office collected mail from Girdwood Barracks, Belfast and took it to Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn for processing.

I hope this answers your query.

Mike

Tony Walker

Wow Mike !  That's a blinder

I have about a dozen or so covers from NI dated 1974 - 1975, a period just after I had left the Province and returned to England.  Will now look at some of these, so don't put your pen away!

Cheers
Tony

Michael Dobbs

Tony

Have a look at my 6-page article on Northern Ireland in FPHS Journal 301 (Autumn 2014) to see if that helps.  Otherwise happy to try and answer queries you post on the forum.

Mike

Michael Dobbs

Tony

I have attached my notes on the BFPO numbers in Northern Ireland (801 to 825) which you may find useful.

Mike