• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

A cover from a non-existent vessel?

Started by Nick Colley, November 25, 2022, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Chaps, attached are scans of an item apparently from the Greek naval vessel HHMS [i]Elli[/i]. The question I have is unrelated to postal history, only Greek naval history. You can see from the Alexandria b/s that it dates from August 1944. However, the first Greek ship named [i]Elli[/i] a light cruiser) was sunk by the Italian submarine [i]Delfino[/i] on 15th August 1940 (BEFORE the outbreak of hostilities between Greece and Italy) while she was anchored off the island of Tinos. The internet tells me the second ship named [i]Elli[/i] in the Greek navy was the Italian cruiser [i]Eugenio di Savoia[/i] which was given to Greece in 1947 by Italy as reparation. The conclusion is, of course, that there was no Greek naval vessel named [i]Elli[/i] between August 1940 and 1947. Except this cover strongly suggests otherwise.

The question, therefore, is: what vessel, or entity, carried the name HHMS [i]Elli[/i] between 1941 and 1947? Any ideas, folks?

Thanks
N

Alexander Green

I think this is HHMS Helle (alternate spelling of Elli), a Greek naval base in Egypt.  Situated somewhere on the Suez Canal perhaps?  There was unrest and a mutiny there in 1944.

Nick Colley

Excellent! Sounds good to me :-) Many thanks.

As an aside, it tickles me that the item is written in French, by a Greek, posted through a British army post office in Egypt, and addressed to the Ottoman (Turkish origin) bank. Five nations in one item, a year before the United Nations came into being.

Thanks again.

rgds