• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

British Forces Telegram 1981

Started by Michael Dobbs, February 24, 2023, 12:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

Via our Editor I recently received the following query:

[color=maroon]Can you help me with the rates for telegrams used by British Field Post Offices in 1981-82 please?
I attach a typical telegram. I had initially thought it would depend on the number of words but it is clear it is more complicated than that.[/color]

[b]Telegram tariff revision: 1 April 1981[/b]

The Post Office Gazette of 18 March 1981 contained a Supplement on revised telegram tariffs effective from 1 April 1981.  It went on to state that the new international charges also applied to BFPOs and CFPOs, except for telegrams to BFPOs in BAOR and to Concession (CSN) telegrams where the new inland telegram charges of £1.50 (fixed fee) plus 15p for each word applied.  Other changes included the withdrawal of the EFM service and the application normal word counting to any military, naval or air force address.  A summary of the changes which affected Forces telegrams is set out in the following table:

(see attached WORD document)

The telegram has been sent from BAOR.  The PO Gazette lists charges to HM Forces overseas, but the same charges applied from HM Forces to UK.  The £4.40 charge appears to have been made up as follows:

£1.50 (fixed fee)
£2.40 (16 words at 15p each word)
50p (Forces greetings facility – as indicated on the PO Telegram form above the addressee)
TOTAL: £4.40