• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

King George V's visits to Scapa Flow

Started by Peter High, September 15, 2014, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter High

I have just noticed the topic placed on the Forum in January last year by Tony Walker. In it he referred to a card in his collection showing KGV on board ship during a visit to Scapa Flow in 1916.
I have recently bought a page from 'The War Budget' of 12 July 1917 which is headed 'King George with the Red Cross' and shows him inspecting medical staff on board the hospital ship Plassey.
I thought it of interest to draw attention to an excellent video showing KGV on his inspection visit to Plassey, June 1917. Just put in the heading 'King George V visits HMHS Plassey 1917' (also the same heading but with a change of year). The King made annual visits to Scapa Flow in July 1915, July 1916 and June 1917. It was during his first visit to HMHS Drina in July 1915 that he was taken in for observation "as he was not quite the thing." - lovely phraseology! :)
There's quite a bit about the King's visits to Scapa under 'www.gwpa.org/naval/kgvscapa.htm'

Regards to all.
Peter