• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Location of FPO 1023

Started by usjoeden, January 16, 2015, 03:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usjoeden

Hi all!

I have an envelope to the 1/6 QEO Gurkha Rifles at Lodar Camp, Aden.
It is postmarked [b]FIELD POST OFFICE 1023[/b], dated 16 MAY 1963.

Please, any information about the FPO 1023 is valuable.

Regards,
Ulf
PS - CU in April!

Michael Dobbs

Ulf

We have no record of its use in 1963:

Apr 1955 - Bodney South, Thetford, UK
Jul-Aug 1961 - Bournley Camp, Aldershot, UK

Nov 1970 - 1984 - BFPO 30 (Hohne, Germany)

"The Dhow" (Volume 4, No 1, March 2003) the magazine for a study group for those who collect, amngst others, Aden and Yemen.  This particular issue contains a detailed article "Aden Military Markings" by Brian Allcock.  Despite a long listing of post-WW2 FPO postal markings, FPO 1023 is not listed.

Your cover appears to indicate use in Aden in 1963 - a new recording.  I would welcome other recordings  to confirm and expand period of use in Aden.

Thank you, Mike  ;)

akennedy

it may be as Mike suggests located in Aden as it is addressed within that area.
However is it definitely 1023?
Alistair

usjoeden

Mike and Alistair!

It is my fault - the cover is addressed [b]to[/b] the Lodar Camp from - I assume - the UK. The cover has British adhesives, postmarked the first date of use. It may be a phliatelic cover, but the addressee is within my range of interest.

Regards

Ulf

Michael Dobbs

Ulf

Very many thanks for the scan - well, even if it is [b]not[/b] from Aden ([u]my[/u] mistake for not reading your message correctly), it is [b]definitely[/b] FIELD POST OFFICE 1023 and is [b]definitely[/b] dated 16 MY 63 and is still a [b]new[/b] recording, even if we don't know from where !

It may not be from the UK, there is no indication as to where it is from.  I may well turn this into a query for the Journal.

Regards, Mike  :D