• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Written in Italian

Started by Ross Debenham, May 09, 2015, 05:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I have an envelope post marked with Egyptian Post Prepaid 34, dated 6 September, 1945 to a soldier at Suez Canal Area North. MEF and inscribed at top WRITTEN IN ITALIAN. Could any member tell me from where this cover may have been sent from. Censored using Type A.700 censor marker number 4322. I believe that EPP 34 was used at BFPO 235 at the time.

akennedy

Censor A7/4322appears to have been used by 2 Base Workshops, R.E.M.E.
I am not able to confirm whether EPP 34 was used at the office using FPO 235 datestamp, but FPO 235 was used at Geneifa in the Suez Canal Zone. The writer was presumably formerly a P.O.W. (remember Italy changed sides in 1943) and probably in a an Italian working company.

Alistair

Ross Debenham

Thanks Alistair. that information is very helpful. I didn't realise Italians were working on the canal, but it makes sense.