• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO 47 from 22th April 1940

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, March 11, 2015, 02:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Hello,
I canĀ“t identify the adress to BEF. Who can the Q.A.M.N.S.R. and the words read?
Thank you
Ingo

Michael Dobbs

Ingo

I am finding this military abbreviation a bit difficult to work out: the envelope clearly shows QAMNSR.

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service (QAIMNS) was established by Royal Warrant in March 1902.  It was named after Queen Alexandra, who became its President.  In 1949, the QAIMNS became a corps in the British Army and was renamed as the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps (QARANC). 

However, I eventually found a reference to explain QAMNSR means Queen Alexandra (or probably more correctly Queen Alexandra's) Military Nursing Service Reserve - this would appear to be an Australian female nursing organisation ?

Did the writer miss out the I (for Imperial) after QA and it should read QAIMNSR ?

The second line is easy: No 2 Casualty Clearing Station.

Regards, Mike  ::)

Ingo Egerlandt

Mike,

FPO 47 was used from the II. Corps near the Belgium border in this time. The Hospital was standing in northern France to.

Who was the small field hospital? From the WWI, I found some from Australian CCS, but not from the WW2. Where can I ask?

Ingo

Michael Dobbs

Ingo

I cannot answer your questions as I am not familiar with the period.  However, I have found one reference to No 2 CCS in WW2 (without a date and I don't know where these locations are):
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2250108

During World War II, No.2 Casualty Clearing Station was at Rouvroy, three kilometres north-east of Arleux, and the cemetery was used again.

Mike  :(

Ingo Egerlandt

Mike,

thank you very much for your details.

Ingo

akennedy

2 CCS had been at Rouvnoy, but was relieved there by 8 CCS on16th March 1940.
By end of April 2CCS was at Beaumont Hamel - (inf from Official History (Medical Services).

Ingo Egerlandt

Alistair, thank you for details again.
Ingo