• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

NZ APO Advanced Base in Egypt WW1

Started by Tony Walker, February 09, 2015, 01:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

A philatelic friend has asked if I could provide details about the attached cover from the New Zealand Army Post Office Advanced Base in Egypt, dated 21 )ctober 1915.

He asks where were they at that time, and which units were involved.  What was the postage rate to the UK at that time, and any other information available

Tony Walker

Graham Mark

Hello Tony
Firebrace p191.
10April15 office was opened in shed 43 on the docks at Alexandria
10Sept15 metal datestamp (as on this cover) was brought into use
15Oct15 moved to better premises at Le Forreti Theatre in Alex with staff of one officer, 2 sergeants, 2 corporals and 15 sappers.
In October 1915 they would have been handling mails to and from the Kiwis at Galipolli and the returned mail of casualties, redirecting it to hospitals etc or returning it to NZ if the man had been killed.
The theatre is not mentioned in my 1930s Baedeker's Guide, so I cannot say which street it was in.
Graham

Tony Walker

Graham

Many thanks, I'll pass the message on

Yony

ChristchurchPS

The Postage Rates laid down in a circular dated 11 December [1914] to all units [NZ]:

LETTERS          to NZ UK & British possessions    5 mills  ( 1/2  piastre) per 20 grammes

to other countries                        10 mills (1 piastre) for 1st 20 grammes
                                                                              6 mills for each succeeding 20 grammes

Postcards        inland                                            2 mills 
                      to all countries                                4 mills 

Newspapers                                                          10 mills

Registration Fee                                                    10 mills

I do not know when this changed

Robert Duns