• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

OAS cds Mauritius 1895

Started by Eric Hutton, April 30, 2015, 11:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Hutton

Just joined the FPHS, my collecting interests are Mauritius. Does anyone else have examples of this On Active Service cds, I have only a single example, interested to know the date range of this cds usage.

Its written to W. T. Wilson, 18 Livingstone Road, Handsworth Birmingham, a stamp dealer, from an E . Watson at Port Louis.

Have done some preliminary searches for E. Wilson but have nothing so far.

Edited 11-May...noted from E. Watson (not E. Wilson my typo), [b]and cover is proved to be a fake[/b], read later replies to this post.

Alan Baker

The name of the sender looks more like Watson to me. Not sure if that helps

akennedy

The postmark looks rather odd. It is certainly not OAS for On Active Service.
There is a post office of VACOAS, but this does not fit in the avilable space.

Alistair Kennedy

Peter Harvey

I think I am with Alistair on this. I had a good look at the various VACOAS date stamps available in this period and this appears to be one of the single ring versions that has been altered, the link to a stamp collector may explain. I have attached a copy of a s/r date stamp that may fit? 

Regards Peter

Eric Hutton

Yes, most strange. I have an example of the corresponding VACOAS cancel.

I am the editor of the Indian Ocean Study Circle, and there is nothing like it mentioned in the back issues of our Bulletins (we started in 1970). I am attending London 2015 next week and will take it along and ask some IOSC members what they think.

The question needs to be asked if its philatelic, then why?

[quote author=Alistair Kennedy link=topic=742.msg3417#msg3417 date=1430931766]
The postmark looks rather odd. It is certainly not OAS for On Active Service.
There is a post office of VACOAS, but this does not fit in the avilable space.

Alistair Kennedy
[/quote]

Tony Walker

Hello Eric

I have quite a bit of info on your Mr Wilsons, thanks to a good friend of mine, Edward Caesley who has a fine collection of material relating to stamp dealers. 

If you care to send your email address to me at : walker369@btinternet.com I will forward the details to you as received from Edward

Cheers
Tony

Eric Hutton

Tony and his friend Edward Caesley have solved the problem, the cover I have is definitely a fake, in that the stamp with a partial VACOAS cancel has been added to the cover.

In April 1896, a year after my supposed cover W. T. Wilson was still living at an earlier address of 192 Birchfield Rd, Birmingham and did not move to 18 Livingstone Rd (the address on my cover until some time later).

It still surprises me someone would want to fake such a common stamp on a cover.

[quote author=Tony Walker link=topic=742.msg3422#msg3422 date=1431262699]

Hello Eric

I have quite a bit of info on your Mr Wilsons, thanks to a good friend of mine, Edward Caesley who has a fine collection of material relating to stamp dealers. 

If you care to send your email address to me at : walker369@btinternet.com I will forward the details to you as received from Edward

Cheers
Tony
[/quote]

Michael Dobbs

Just to let you know that Edward Caesley is also a member of the FPHS.

This proves once again the value of the Forum - many a diverse subject and in the majority of cases it can be solved !

Well done all.

Mike