• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW1 Indian FPO & Censor mark identification

Started by Michael Dobbs, March 15, 2015, 09:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

A member of one of my local societies showed a cover the other evening postmarked Indian FPO 18 on 20 SE 15 with Type CM3 censor 1458.

Frank Daniel in his epic book on the allocation of censor stamps to units unfortunately does not show an allocation for 3/1458.

Can any member assist with location of Indian FPO 18 on that date and any possible allocatiopn of the CM3 censor please ?

Many thanks, Mike  ???

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

Proud records Indian FPO 18 as follows:

12.12.14 - 5.12.17 France Sialkot Brigade 1 Cavalry Division. Can not help with the censor cachet sorry.

Peter

akennedy

I confirm that IFPO 18 served Sialkot Cavalry Brigade.
I have recorded censor 3/1458 also in November and December 1915, but can't allocate it to a unit.

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Alistair & Peter

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Alistair - are your recordings of the censor number against Indian FPOs ?

Thanks, Mike  ;)

Graham Mark

Frank Daniel's work sheets show that he recorded censor 3/1458 with Indian FPOs 18, 17 and 3.  IFPO 18 is underlined.  IFPOs 17 and 18 were both allocated to 1st Indian Cavalry Division, HQ and Sialkot Bde respectively, IFPO 3 was allocated to 2nd Indian Cav Div (all per Proud).
Perry's "Order of Battle of Divisions" part 5B does not give a location of 1st Ind Cav Div, other than to say they were held in reserve for much of the time waiting for the elusive gap.  But trench parties were call on from time to time either to hold the line or as pioneers.
Graham

Michael Dobbs

Graham

Many thanks - extremely useful.

Mike  :)

akennedy

I should have made it clear that my recordings of 3/1458 were both also with IFPO 18.
Alistair