• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

HMHS Dorsetshire WW2

Started by Chris Weddell, March 08, 2015, 05:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,

Can anyone help with any info on the British Navy hospital ship Dorsetshire. In one of my previous posts i showed an Air Mail Letter which was sent from her. I cant seem to find out too much about her , anything at all about her would be good.

Chris  ???

Peter High

Hello Chris
HMHS Dorsetshire was a Bibby Line ship built 1920 by Harland & Wolfe at Belfast. 7450grt and a service speed of 12 knots. One of a pair (the other was Somersetshire), she was designed with higher than normal 'tween deck clearance so that she could be converted into a troopship if required. When launched in 1920 (22 April) she was the largest motorship at the time and was completed as a tin ore cargo ship.
In 1927 the 5 year trooping contract was renewed and to cater for the increased demand the cargo ships Dorsetshire and Somersetshire were converted into permanent troopships, as a result of which her tonnage was increased to 9345grt.
In September 1939 Dorsetshire was converted into HM Hospital Ship No.23 with beds for 493 patients and accommodation for 59 medical staff. On 31 January 1941, during a voyage to Tobruk to evacuate troops, she was, despite her markings as a hospital ship, attacked outside Sollum in Libya. Although the enemy had been advised of her hospital ship status, she was again attacked on 1 February. On 12 July 1943 she was bombed and received superficial damage when 13 miles from Cape Passero whilst supporting the Allied invasion of Sicily which had commenced on 9 July. She was decommissioned on 8 March 1948.
All the above is from my notes, most probably gleaned from various sites on the web and from books.
I have two covers from her, one from a Sister Doris L Webb, QAIMNS(R) (cancelled FPO 300, North Africa, 4 FE 44, with PASSED BY CENSOR crowned circle 830), another addressed TO her and an Airgraph from her as well (28 Nov 43, with crown circle censor - could be 830).  Another cover from the ship is cancelled by the red PO Maritime Mail slogan of London (undated).
I have a photo postcard of her showing no. 23 on her hull. I can send a scan if you are interested.

That's all I can tell you. Hope it helps. Regards,
Peter :)

Chris Weddell

Peter,

Thanks with your help with this.

Chris  ;D

akennedy

Peter

A slight correction - FPO 300 was in Italy from Sept 43 - Salerno, followed by Naples, becoming BAPO 15.
Alistair