• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

BEF postage rate to USA

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, April 12, 2015, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Hello members,

You see an envelope with the 2 1/2 d postage rate to the USA. I have got another envelope from the BEF to the USA with only 1 1/2 d postage rate. I think about, both it was the same wight.

My asks to this cover. Is the postage rate to high or it is the 2nd wight postage rate?

Thank you
Ingo

Graham Mark

Until 30 April 1940 the rate for a 1oz letter UK to USA was 1½d.  From 1 May 1940 the rate (for the same weight) was increased to 2½d.
Your cover was datestamped 2 May 40 but was paid only at the old rate.  I expect that the notification of the increase in rate had not reached the office where the letter was posted, and when it passed through a British sorting office the shaotfall was ignored as a concession.
My comments are based on rates applied to civilian mails - I am not aware of any concessionary rate to the forces at the time in question, but another member may be able to say whether there was  one.

Michael Dobbs

Ingo / Graham

I cannot add information about rates at that time, but only comment on the cover and the answer given by Graham, and pose another question !

Graham: the cover in question has been paid at the new rate (2 1/2d = 1 x 1 1/2d stamp and 2 x 1/2d stamps) !

My question is - there appears to be only one datestamp impression and I accept that in accordance with the rules at the time for foreign mail the number has been obliterated.  But why has not the postage stamps been cancelled ?  The datestamp impression falls well short of the postage stamps - was this deliberate ?

Regards, Mike  :D

Ingo Egerlandt

Mike and Graham,

all other envelopes to USA in my collection rated with 1 1/2 d in stamps. All other has got 1 1/2 d and this is 2 1/2 d.

I think about, the postage rate was higher after May 1st 1940. The unstamped stamps are not normal, because vergotten. All forces mail to overseas countries must pay the airletter rate. Later, from Egypt and India or Europe to north america must be pay 2 1/2 d postage rate.

The postage rate change in these time....I control my other censor 212 envelopes to USA about the dates.

You can see my exhibition collection on GBPS homepage.

Thank you Graham and Mike

Ingo

Graham Mark

Isee I was confused when I answered this question.
I agree this cover was paid 2½d.  Why did I think it was paid only 1½d? 
It must have been late at night!

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Graham,

no problem. It is only a hobby!

Ingo