• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Damaged as a result of enemy action

Started by Peter Harvey, June 02, 2015, 06:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi,

I thought members may be interested in the fact that the pictured hand stamp is for sale on the internet and will sell in the next few days. This is stated to be an original Post Office issue and from picture it certainly appears to be old, however this opens up a huge potential for forgery, depending who buys this.

Covers with the cachet DAMAGED AS A RESULT OF ENEMY ACTION have always been scarce. I note in some research that Cavendish have commented on some 1981 forgeries of covers with a similar style of hand stamp.

Regards

Peter

Michael Dobbs

I have sent an urgent email to the Committee

Mike

Peter Harvey

Those using the discussion forum might like to know that the Society Bid on this item with several members willing to contribute to taking this cachet out of the market and handling over the the Royal Philatelic Society.

Unfortunately, this sold for a significant sum and we have no idea who the buyer was, if this will be used in a collection or indeed be used to produce forged covers, so please be aware.

From the sellers original listing I have added a picture of the cachet used on cover.

Frank Schofield

Interesting to note the meter mark is dated September 1941, cannot find any reference to Air Raids on Cardiff after 4th-11th May 1941 until 1942, might be a useful clue to some buyers Has any member seen the one on offer in the US @$1000+ (the cachet with the bomb) undated might be genuine Naval ex Liverpool??

Frank Schofield

Nick Colley

Two comments:
Damage ? What damage ?

and:

Cardiff may not necessarily be particularly relevant: it would be most interesting to know to where it was addressed. More than a touch rhetorical, that thought, I fear.  :(

$1000 for an undated bomb mark ? Someone's having a laugh ? Caveat emptor, folks.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Gents

I've carried out some initial research and find that the cachet (or a near identical one) used on mail was offered for sale in Grosvenor sale 62 (December 2010) and realized £120 - it was stated to be 1916 (Sept. 20) envelope to the Isle of Wight. carried on the ferry Portsdown which struck a mine and sank near Ryde, showing two line "DAMAGED AS A RESULT / OF ENEMY ACTION"
http://grosvenorauctions.com.cluster.cwcs.co.uk/dyn_pages/historic_sale_summary.php?show_h_sale_no=62&page=3

However, in Grosvenor sale 73 (June 2012) another cover was offered for sale as: 1941 (Sept. 20) railway steamer Portsdown, struck a German mine between Southampton and the Isle of Wight on reused envelope with two line cachet "DAMAGED AS A RESULT / OF ENEMY ACTION with a sale estimate of £180-£200.
http://www.grosvenorauctions.com/dyn_pages/current_sale_summary.php?Sale_no=73&main_cat=Miscellaneous%20and%20Mixed%20Lots&page=4

I have also seen an item in a different auction house sale also with the year 1941.  So 1916 or 1941 ? (I think the latter).  Further work to be done (given time), as I said this is my initial findings on this cachet.

Regards, Mike  ;D

akennedy

the Portsdown incident was 1941 not 1916.
George Crabb had a cover

Alistair

Reg Gleave

The catalogue illustration of the "1916" version has a poor strike of "post early in the day"
My 1983 edition of Collect British Postmarks does not include this before 1937.
Reg Gleave