• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Does anyone know where APO S.2 was on the 16th of December 1917.

Started by Chris Weddell, June 12, 2015, 09:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi All,

This is a postcard sent from aboard the Scottish hospital ship ' SAINT MARGARET OF SCOTLAND '. What i would like to know is 1, Where the APO S.2 was based in around the 16th of December 1917 , i only have it listed as the Western Front and 2, does anybody know anything about censor 4382 at that time.

Thanks,

Chris.

akennedy

APO S2 was at St Omer from approx. 1/4/16 to 19/6/18.
censor 6/4382 occurs subsequently with APO S15 (Bruyeres Camp, Rouen) in September 1918.

akennedy

I should have added that the card was not necessarily written on board the hospital ship, but does presumably indicate that the writer, Jack, had been on board at some time.
Alistair

Chris Weddell

Alistair,

Thanks for the help with the FPO number and censor mark. Also thanks for your view on the card, it was my view and one other person that it was sent from the hospital ship. I am now going to write it up as possibly sent from a hospital ship  I t is good to get opinions on items you are not sure about.

Are there any good books on WW1 Censor marks and FPO'S as i only have a very basic list and am now getting more into this.

Thanks,

Chris  ;D 

akennedy

Even if written on board, it was not sent from the ship - posted at St Omer, which is well inland.

Alistair

Chris Weddell

Alistair,

Thanks again. I had to have a look on the map as i did not know where St Omer. I will now write it up as sent from APO S.2 by someone who was on a hospital ship at some time. Thanks again for all your help.

Chris :)