• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Portuguese Army on Western Front

Started by Alan Baker, July 17, 2015, 06:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Another item from the Portuguese Army in France. The cover has a censor stamp "Censurado 4" and a cancellation "SPC 11" dated 11 X 17. It is backstamped "SPC 8" dated 13 X 17.

It appears to be addressed to a soldier with "2a BMM". It does not bear anything to indicate it came from Portugal itself.

Q1. What does the "BMM" stand for? All I can think of is British Military Mission

Q2. Was it sent by a soldier with one unit to another elsewhere in France? I have other items posted to Portuguese soldiers, which generally have two SPC stamps, but not usually Censurado stamps.

Q3. Is there anyone out there who collects mail to/from the Portuguese, as I don't seem to have many rivals when I bid for items on ebay etc?

Alan Baker

This time with scans

Michael Dobbs

Alan

I agree that BMM would appear to indicate British Military Mission (I wonder if there were more than one with the Portuguese ?).
This would appear to be a question for our WW1 expert - Alistair !

Regards, Mike  ;D

akennedy

Usually BMM would be British Military Mission, but not in this context.
The Portuguese order of battle (under corpo expedicionario Portugeues)
included 2a batarias de morteiros medios, which I read as 2nd medium mortar battery.
Alistair

Alan Baker

Many thanks Alistair. That makes it even more interesting. Your Portuguese is clearly better than mine!

Do you have any views on Q2?

akennedy

agree probably from one soldier to another - no civil postmark or censor mark.

military terms are often similar in different languages!

Alistair

Alan Baker

:Just coming back to this.

Any idea where this unit was based?