• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Allocation of Type CM6 censor 2155

Started by Michael Dobbs, August 15, 2015, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received an enquiry via our website asking if we know the unit allocation of upright rectangular censor stamp 2155 in 1918 - Type CM6.

I have asked for further details (such as FPO datestamps on the covers, name and regimental number of sender if known) but has anyone by chance got recordings of this particular censor number please ?

Many thanks, Mike  ;)

akennedy

6/2155 seen with APO R63 Oct 17 - Apr 18 (63rd RN Division).
No clues to unit yet.
Maybe clues if submitter is able to provide any information.

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Alistair

Once again many thanks for your help in providing information - I have requested further details and if I receive a response I will update this topic.

Mike  ;D

Michael Dobbs

I have now received some more information:

[color=maroon]The letters were all sent to my great aunt from her beloved. The story we were all told was that he didn't return from the war and that she never found out what happened to him. She never had another partner or children and remained heartbroken. I would love to find out as much as I can about him and hopefully what happened. His name was [b]Louis William Bird[/b] but unfortunately we do not know any more details. [/color]

I don't know if that is sufficient to trace the man - it could be that he was in the Royal Navy or Royal Marines.

I have also received four scans of partial card which I will post in two postings.

Regards, Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Here are the other two scans.

Mike  :)

Frank Schofield

Mike

The R63 datestamp confirms 63rd (ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION) Railhead, but no clues to a Brigade

Louis William Bird not on any Royal Navy casualty lists (even tried the Army)

Frank Schofield