• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Palestine WW2

Started by Peter Harvey, August 24, 2015, 07:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi,

Received the below from a non - member - can anyone suggest a book to meet his requirements. Trying to attract new members, so your help is appreciated.

Question: I wonder if you can help me. For a long time I have been looking for a book on British and foreign troops FPO and BAPO in Palestine during ww2. Do you have a title of a book covering this area.

Thank you

akennedy

I am not aware of any book which covers all the forces in Palestine in WW2.

You are probably aware of the various books which cover the FPOs etc of individual countries - GB (army), GB (RAF censors), Australia, India, NZ, Poland, South Africa, USA come to mind. I can detail the titles if necessary another time.

Alistair

Frank Schofield

Gents

There is a book, POSTAL CENSORSHIP IN PALESTINE DURING WORLD WAR TWO 1939-1945 by Norman Gladstone, published Central Stamp Gallery London, in 1975, 99% is of course censorship, but there is a two page listing (No's 98 & 99) of British FPO's 1940- 1945 then 1945-1948. might help

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Gents

A little bit before the outbreak of WW2, but many, many, many years ago (going back to possibly the late 1980's / early 1990's) I typed up some notes I made on British FPOs in Palestine during the Mandate period 1936-37 following perusal of a files in the Post Office Archives and also various articles in the FPHS Newsletter (now Journal) and also Stamp Collecting (both going back to the mid-1950's).  The attachment is the bibliography and reference sheet I compiled for my typed up notes.  Please ignore references to "FPHS Reference ##" as these were reference numbers for when the Society held binders of cut-out magazine articles and notes - we disposed of these a good many years ago now.

The Post Office Archives file (which is listed in the bibliography) also contained various letters to collectors like Colonel Crouch and John Smith as well as telegrams and notes on postal charges.  It also contained a very large map of Palestine showing various military structures including the location of the FPOs, identified by a strike of the relevant datestamp on the map !

Regards, Mike  :D

Peter Harvey

Thank you both for these excellent references, I have emailed them on today and I am sure they will be of interest. I often see many of these older publications come up at auction, although as reference items they are becoming increasingly scarce.

Thank you for your help.

Regards