• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Haven Heath Camp

Started by Michael Dobbs, April 11, 2016, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received an enquiry as follows:

[color=maroon]"I cannot trace a "Haven Heath Camp" in Collect British Postmarks' list, and I have never seen the boxed hand-stamp before; sadly, it is only a front"[/color]

Can anyone assist - do you known anything about a Haven Heath Camp and have you seen this Army Postal Service Unable to Trace cachet before ?

Many thanks, Mike  ;)

Michael Dobbs

I have since heard from the person who made the enquiry below and he has managed to obtain further information as follows:

[color=maroon]I contacted the Suffolk Record Office in Ipswich - they say it is most likely Warren Heath, an area just outside Ipswich, and they are going to see if they have any details.[/color]

a little later:

[color=maroon]I have now heard again from the Record Office in Ipswich--they have details in their records which confirm that in 1914 it was decided to build a camp at Warren Heath for two Brigades of the RFA, and it was completed in 1915. As a camp for the RFA, no wonder there was no trace of a member of the 4th. Yeomanry Cyclists !
Warren Heath is not listed in CBP as having a Post Office / cancel of its own, but the Army Post Office (HD)- M10 cancel is.
If you think it is still worth putting it on your Forum, I should like to know if the "UNABLE TO TRACE" hand-stamp is known about.
[/color]

Kennedy & Crabb show APO (HD) M 10 as AP 17 - AU 17 3 Cyc. Bde (2 Mtd Bde) Bromeswell Heath Camp, Woodbridge, Suffolk.  I hope Alistair (or anyone else) can shed further light on this.

Mike  ;)

Graham Mark

Another angle is that the River Deben is also called Woodbridge Haven at its mouth, as are other rivers in the district.  [eg Orford Haven and Orwell Haven]. Woodbridge is west of the river and on the opposite bank is quite a large area of heathland, including Bromeswell Heath.  Regret I cannot see any Heath called Haven Heath on contemporary or older inch to the mile maps.

akennedy

Not every camp had a camp post office, or an APO.
The UNDELIVERABLE mark is in Proud, type AH on page 83.

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Many thanks for your comments so far - I think the person making the enquiry is suggesting that as a result of the response from the Suffolk Record Office his reading of Haven Heath Camp was incorrect and it should be Warren Heath Camp.

Why the APO (HD) M10 postmark ?

It looks as though it was re-directed to Bromeswell Heath Camp, Woodbridge, Suffolk where it was the re-directed to the Dead Letter Office - there is a partial strike of WOOD..... dated 29 AP 17 two days after the APO (HD) M10 postmark of 27 AP 17.

Mike