• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

POW Camp No 5

Started by Jim Mackay, April 26, 2016, 05:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Mackay

I attach a scan of a POW letter dated 3.11.41 sent from Camp No 5 by a German Naval Lieutenant. There is a partial double oval cachet Prisoner of War/Camp with No 5 in the centre.

There seem to have been two POW camps numbered 5, and I'm hoping that someone might be able to tell me which one this is. The first, apparently little known, Camp 5 was at Duff House, Banff where German Naval prisoners were held, including the crew of the U26. This historic house (now a country art gallery) was attacked by a Heinkel H-111 on 22 July 1940. Six POW and two guards were killed and many injured. Further info at http://www.rememberingscotlandatwar.org.uk/Accessible/Exhibition/143/Prisoners-of-War 

The German War Graves site records these casualties as having been held at Camp 5, Duff House, Banff. I've never seen this POW camp included in any of the Camp lists.

The other camp 5 was located at Monrush, Cookstown, Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, which again doesn't seem to be included in lists.

Are there any other known covers from Camp No 5? Does anyone know the opening and closing dates? Were there any other POW camp fatalities in Britain from 'friendly fire'? Any info would be much appreciated.