• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Capt Edward John Wilkinson OBE

Started by Michael Dobbs, January 14, 2017, 08:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry:

[color=maroon]I have been given your name by Michael Vesey-Fitzgerald, Hon Sec of the East Africa Study Circle and wonder if you may be able to help me.

I am Chairman of Christ's Hospital Heritage Committee and am conducting some research into Old Blues who, for one reason or another, have been omitted from our WW1 War Memorial which was unveiled on 23 October 1920.

Capt Wilkinson is one such name. He died in the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital, London on 16 January 1920 and was buried on 20 January, with full military honours, at Brookwood Military Cemetery.  He is listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.  He was 49 when he died.

So far, my research has elicited that Capt Wilkinson spent much of his life abroad and, in particular, about half of it in Africa, that he served in Rhodesia in the Boer War, that he settled in Durban and in 1916 he joined the Intelligence Department of the E. African local forces, acting as Censor in Mombasa and Zanzibar. He was awarded his OBE in November 1918 for services in E. Africa.  He was invalided to Durban in 1919 and then was sent to London for treatment but never recovered.

I wonder if you have access to any records which would disclose the work of Capt. Wilkinson while in Mombasa and Zanzibar, where he lived etc?  Alternatively, perhaps you may be able to direct me to other possible sources of help.  I should be most grateful for any assistance you might be able to render.

With best regards

Bill Richards[/color]

If any member has any information on the subject or ideas as to further research please do let me know.

Many thanks, Mike  ;)