• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Damaged Cover into FPO 14 Constantinople 1923

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 02, 2016, 11:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

Scan attached of my write up of a cover from France into Constantinople September 1923, cover was damaged and sealed at each end with two "Found Open (Or Torn) Officially Sealed" Labels.  Cover also shows signs of previous sealing with plain tape.

Received at the French PO 10th Sept, passed onto the British Post Office Constantinople 11th Sept who then passed the cover onto FPO 14 for delivery.

My question is where were the Seal Labels applied, At the BPO after cancelling or FPO 14 prior to cancelling.  First example I've seen so no material to base anything on. Would the Army Postal service have carried these labels as part of their stock or more likely the BPO at Constantinople.

Cheers

chris

akennedy

the sealing labels were clearly applied at FPO 14 - that datestamp being applied in the requisite space on the labels.

Alistair

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alistair

This shows the FPO Service had a full range of material available.

Cheers

Chris

Susan McEwen

Hi Chris
your cover seems to have had a rough journey!  was it bulky?  - would 1 franc pay for overweight?  or is the original envelope just flimsy?

still a nice item with a story to tell

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Susan

Quite a flimsy envelope, not sure what the postal rates were from France, wonder if 1 Franc was an airmail rate?

Certainly the first item I've ever seen from this period with these sealing labels.  The only other item I have sealed like this is a 1919 incoming cover into London from the APO in Constantinople where the labels were applied in London.

Chris