• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Army Signals Cover Batoum 1920

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 05, 2016, 07:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Hi All

A friend has asked me about the attached cover to British High Commisioner, Batoum 1920, no postal markings but reverse of the cover shows a Army Signals Hand-stamp, anyone any ideas where this may have been applied.  Something I've never seen before.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

The ARMY SIGNALS datestamp has the code letters B / M which clearly indicate Batoum and so I would say that it was postmarked in Batoum - a cover sent by the military and passed through the Royal Engineers Signal Service (the Corps of Signals was not formed until 28 June 1920 and became the Royal Corps of Signals on 5 August 1920) to be delivered to the British High Commissioner. 

I found this website which provcides a short summary of British Army in Batoum.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/5001830/BATUMI%20BRITISH%20MILITARY%20CEMETERY

What is the correct spelling: Batoum, Batumi, Batum ???? (or does it depend upon nationality !).

Hope this helps.

Mike  ;)

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Mike

I wondered if this was the case, "B M" certainly fits in and  it would make sense for any urgent communications to be sent by signal.

Unless anyone knows differently looks like the first recorded example from Batoum.

Spelling reflects different nationalities and eras.

Chris