• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Luftwaffe Shipyard Companies ?

Started by Nick Colley, October 22, 2016, 03:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Hi, all,

I have in my custody an item posted through FP Nr. L10115 in March 1942, scans attached, hopefully.

The web site

http://www.axishistory.com/whats-new/383-germany-military-other/feldpost/8935-feldpost-numbers-10000-10999

has this listed as 'Werft Kompanie der Luftwaffe 30/II' - literally, I gather, Shipyard Company of the Luftwaffe 30 / II.

I appear to have exhausted the abilities of Mr.Google, so my question is:
What was the function of a 'Shipyard Company' in the Luftwaffe. Or has my translation of 'Werft' gone awry ?

FYI, it seems likely that this particular unit was in Russia. The transit time from posting to receipt at Posnan, ca. 2 weeks, might support that sort of distance, perhaps ?

Anyway, I hope you can help, plse ?

Thanks a lot !

Nick

Chris Weddell

Hello Nick

I too have a few covers from L10115. This is the only thing I found on the net about them was this .

www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/.../Feldwerftverband

"The main task of the aircraft services was to maintain and repair aircraft and technical equipment. Late repairs were a matter for the shipyard departments and in the operational area of the motorized field Shipyard departments that in turn one of the Air Force (Air Forces engineer) below field Shipbuilders' Association were united. Long-term repairs took over the front-service companies set up by the industry, whose military interests were perceived by the Luftgau engineers. Technical instructions were issued by the general engineer, starting from August 1944 by the Chief of the Technical Air Installations (TLR) and lastly by the "Sonderausschuss Reparatur" in the main committee of the Ministry of Armaments and War Production. Special groups of the shipyards, which had to ensure breakage and booty aircraft, were replaced in 1943 by mountains compartments and battalions."

My reading of it says that more major and long time repairs of aircraft were done at the shipyards, as this was where the Shipyard company of the Luftwaffe was based. I am not sure what a motorized field Shipyard department was but I would think that it was a company of mobile Luftwaffe engineers.

As to L10115 being in Russia, I think could be possible. When i get some time I will have a look for my covers and have a better look at them to see if they have any indications that they were being posted from Russia.

Cheers

Chris  ;D

Nick Colley

Thanks, Chris, dunno how I missed that one ! See also:

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/versorgung/feldvb.htm

which lists the locations of each of the Feldwerftverband units - but not what their functions were.
chrs
N

Ingo Egerlandt

Nick,

the german word "Werft" is both. For ships, supmarines and airplanes or zeppelins. It is all the same.

Ingo

Nick Colley

Thanks, Ingo. So much for Google Translate, then !  :-\

I can remove the shipyard connection, then. That makes the sense easier to digest.

Thanks again !

N