• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

NAVAL CENSORS KILINDINI WORLD WAR 2

Started by Ross Debenham, December 31, 2016, 02:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

In the covers I recently purchased as stated previously there ware a series with the return address as Fleet Mail Office, Kilindini. All were censored using the generic "stepped triangular" censor marker as per attached scan. However although all coming from the same source there were subtle difference with some with small type and some with larger type, some with inscription inside the inner triangle, some without. However the cover shown has "O.B." at the top of the inner triangle. I also have another one that has "M.O." which I believe might stand for Medical Officer, as it came from a medical facilityr. Can any member help in me identifying what the "O.B." denotes.

Michael Dobbs

Ross

I am not an expert on naval censors by any means - so feel free to disregard my remarks in favour of those more involved in WW2 naval mails than me !

However, having blown up the censor mark I feel sure that the initials look like C.B. rather than O.B.

Also my initial thoughts are that they represent censor initials rather than a particular branch/department of the navy.

As I say I am open to correction on both my assumptions above.

Regards, Mike  ;D

Ross Debenham

thanks Mike
I too at first thought it was C.B. but at closer inspection of another example I have it seems to be O.B. If it isn't there must be serious damage to the C in the stamp. I must admit I did not think of the initials of the censor, so that is an further area I can look into.

Ross

Nick Guy

Hello Ross

Harry Henning (in East Africa: World War II, published by the EASC in 1996 - ISBN 0-9515865-2-1) recorded double triangle naval censors used at Kilindini arranged like yours with codes NB., CC, A 2, A 3, BAO, C.D.2, MO, D.Y.6 or D.Y.G., and possibly N.2 .  In addition he records a single triangle with the wording around the outside, and numbers 1 or 2 in the apex.  Harry noted "There has been no published information on the meaning of these symbols within the triangle."  I'm afraid this simply makes it harder to suggest their significance.

Regards

Nick

Ross Debenham

Thanks Nick again. I suppose one day we will get to the bottom of what was going on with censorship in East Africa in WW2. I am pretty sure the M.O. denotes Medical Office or Officer, whilst O.B. could denote Operations Branch. But once again, who knows.

Ross

Nick Colley

The O in O.B.: Ordnance, perhaps ?

Just a thought.

rgds
N